Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Launch Day!

As of yesterday afternoon there was a 60% chance of launch delay. I worked an overnight shift 1700 - 0130 EDT and we did some tests on the orbiter and boosters. We made sure that the program panels were set for the launch and the safing switches were in position in the event of an emergency. I came back to my apartment to get a couple hours of sleep and headed back down to work at 0800.

I was keeping tabs on the weather radar and had a live stream on my computer for NASA TV while I was sitting at my desk. The weather was looking great despite the poor forecast. Low level rain clouds were predicted for the day but it turned out to be scattered at a relatively high level. A fairly perfect day to launch a rocket. OV103 - Discovery took of as scheduled at 1138 in the morning to deliver the Harmony module to the International Space Station.





No comments: